Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Phillip's Birthday and my latest "plan"


Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband. He is the perfect provider, spiritual leader, encourager, listener, idea-maker, supporter, hard worker, fun maker, Godly and wise husband I could ever ask for. He is the perfect helpmate for me.

Lately I have been talking Phillip's ear off about all of the new information I am learning and all the new ideas I have about health. The Lord's timing is perfect, and thank goodness I didn't know what I do now while I was laying in a hospital bed for 2 1/2 months...eating hospital food. However, while I was there, the Lord started something for me. When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes I had to really start watching what I was eating. For the first time I realized that there is really nothing beneficial about carbs or sugar (duh!...where was I in Food&Nutrition in College). In fact sugar feeds fugus which feeds cancer and disease. So after I came home and was no longer gestational diabetic I returned to my old ways. What really made a difference was when I had to start feeding the girls. I knew I would make their baby food, but thought I would just do what everyone else did as far as what foods to introduce when. With the help of my mom, and my mother in law, I was gently guided to my current plan. Why feed them rice cereal, why feed them crackers. Why do all of the things everyone else does just because everyone else, or the FDA does it. I in no way want to be different or stick out, but feel so strongly about my new "plan" that I must tell about it. The girls are only eating vegetables, fruits and protein. We are adding a new food every 4-5 days and are currently working on using our sippie cups (thanks Michelle). So no rice, crackers, or "fillers". Another HUGE dilemma for me was their formula. I've always disliked formula and wished so badly that I could have breastfed the girls. I honestly believe the Lord did not have that in His plans for us, so I made peace with the formula. However, just last week I decided to actually READ THE INGREDIENTS on the back of the can. GROSS! I was disgusted by what they are eating. 46% is Corn Syrup Solids and 10% is sugar. Back to what I was saying about Carbs and Sugar and here you go. Nothing "good" for you. All the vitamins and minerals they have in big font on the side of the can are only 2% of their intake! I immediately went to the health food store to buy goats milk...but I am told over and over not to put your child on goats milk until they are 1 year old. So on Monday we are going to our new doctor (a more natural approach) to just get his opinion. With Avery's excema she has to be on lactose free formula...so that limits our choices right now.
Phillip and I are also trying to watch our diet (this is a work in progress) and basically eat more fruits, veggies, protien and dairy. Cut out the carbs and sugar. Sounds simple really, but carbs are in everything, and if you look...so is sugar. Just read the back of the labels. You'll be amazed.
My feelings too are that I don't in any way want to say other people are doing it wrong. I honestly feel that the Lord has been the one leading me in this direction, and it has been SO exciting for me to learn about this and begin to implement it. There is no "right"way. But I am finding the way we are going to do things.
My mother in law introduced me to a show called "Know the Cause." It is actually filmed in Dallas. If you have direct tv you have it. 1:00pm on 378. This has been incredible for me and a GREAT learning tool. He has a website too at www.knowthecause.com
As I said, this is a work in progress. But for those of you who are around me a lot, you know I've been slightly obsessed with this lately and intrigued by what I am learning.
ps. I could write a whole other blog on my new ideas of immunizations, but I won't. It's just my opinion, and if you watched Oprah's show with Jenny McCarthy you'll know what I'm talking about. 1 in 150! Scary.

Phillip is so supportive of me and all my learning. He constantly has to listen to me ramble on and on about what I learned that week. He is the greatest!
Here is a picture of us celebrating his birthday!



We went to a different pumpkin patch last week - we are addicted!


Love you all!
Shelly

2 comments:

Lauren Williams said...

i am starting to learn more too. it's so interesting to me. jerry's sister and her husband and way into this stuff so i have just been picking up bits of knowledge from her. i can totally see how feeding babies would jump start a new interest in health. go girl. tell your hubbie happy b-day. :)

Sum said...

good for you! that ausism statistic is very scary. you're a good mom. maybe I will move in with you and you can cook healthy foods for me (although I don't think I could ever give up my Taco Bueno!)